Let`s explain some of the statements that you might be facing and you`ll need to understand when you see tag as below…
the first CE in the ATEX code: referring to the European Community (Union), and next four digits’ number referring to the test institute number (according to the official list of the testing institutes, those authorized to test and check the manufacturer`s conditions if it is meet with the requirement of the community).
The second part of the code starts with EX, which means it is explosive proof equipment, and if it is above or underground:
- A) I underground equipment
- B) II on surface of the ground
then Hazardous type(Number) which means;
Hazard Zone: in the oil plants (refineries, central processing, well pads, brown fields, gas pressurizing….) there is understanding of the chance, chance of explosive mixture to appear, this is chance percentage like what?
- Zone (0) or (20), chance of explosive mixture (10%) or 1000 hours /year; the operational time of the equipment.
- Zone (1) or (21), chance of explosive mixture (0.1%-10%) or 10- 1000 hour/year; the operational time of the equipment.
- Zone (2) or (22), chance of explosive mixture (less 0.1%)or 10 hours/year; the operational time of the equipment.
Then the main hazardous symbol that the equipment protected against, in this level this is going to be (G or D), GAS or DUST.
All the above symbols referring to the ATEX, the next part will refer to the IE CEx (International European Standard ….)
Which starts with:
- EX (again); referring to the product it is explosion proof, then
- The type of protection which means the requirements of the (EPL); do you know what does it means?!
The code function above known as Zone Category, then we can decide the Equipment Protection Level (EPL), which meet the Zone requirements.
The EPL varies, into six type which means (intrinsically protection, increased safety, flame proof, encapsulated, pressurized, powder protection, type of protection, and so on; then
- The gas group, if it is IIA, IIB or IIC, in this example it is IIC.
- T1-T6; the temperature of the equipment surface.
- The extra protection condition for the equipment if it required for special utilizing or no independent function.
At the end of this article you recommend for all the employers in the oil plants, to keep practicing on reading of the ATEX for EX-data sheets and strengthening their information in (EPL = Equipment Protection Level) as in the picture below…
هذا المقال متوفر باللغة العربية أيضاً، اضغط هنا